You're getting older if you can remember:
- Being sent to the drugstore to test vacuum tubes for the TV or radio.
- When Kool-Aid was the only other drink for kids, other than milk and sodas.
- When boys couldn't wear anything but leather shoes to school.
- When it took five minutes for the TV to warm up.
- When all your friends got their hair cut at the kitchen table.
- When nearly everyone's mom was at home when the kids got there.
- When nobody owned a pure-bred dog.
- When a dime was a decent allowance, and a quarter a huge bonus.
- When you'd reach into a muddy gutter for a penny.
- When girls neither dated nor kissed until late high school, if then.
- When your mom wore nylons that came in two pieces.
- When all your teachers wore either neckties or had their hair done, everyday.
- When Bible reading and prayer started every school day.
- When you got your windshield cleaned, oil checked, and gas pumped, without asking, for free, every time. And you got trading stamps to boot!
- When laundry detergent had free glasses, dishes or towels hidden inside the box.
- When any parent could discipline any kid, or feed him, or use him to carry groceries, and nobody, not even the kid, thought a thing of it.
- When it was considered a great privilege to be taken out to dinner at a real restaurant with your parents.
- When they threatened to keep kids back a grade if they failed--and did!
- When women were called, "Mrs. John Smith," instead of their own name.
submitted: 1+ years ago
viewed: 4,250 times